Sunday, April 6, 2014

Bound

artwork drawn by my son, Justin, when he was eleven-years-old,
based upon a drawing found in a Stations of the Cross booklet for children
from Gesu Parish in Milwaukee, originally drawn by Mugsie Pike


Here He is,
painfully bound-
bound by my sin,
my misery,
my indifference.

How can I loosen
those binding ties, my Lord?
How can I relieve
your suffering and sorrow?

Let my tears of repentance
fall in abundance.
Let the hope in my heart
set you free.
Let the joy of my life
lived with gratitude
be the dagger

to cut the burning ties
that excoriate Your skin,
scorching through to Your 
Most Sacred Heart,
already burning with the fire
of love for my pitiful soul.

The only binding I can bear
to see You held within, my Lord,
is the fastening You desire.

I will wrap my life around Your holy will
and forever be held close to You, 
bound to Your beautiful love
today and into eternity.


5 comments:

  1. This is beautiful, Anne. I love the part about the binding Jesus desires-wrapping our lives around His holy will. I also love the innocence and simplicity of your son's artwork. Thanks for sharing both the reflection and his artwork.
    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne, this is one of the most powerful depictions of Jesus' suffering that I have seen. Your poem is very touching as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen, Anne - this poem is very powerful. You have a very beautiful gift, my friend.
    I loved your son's picture as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Anne. I hope you and your family have a blessed Easter celebration.

    ReplyDelete