Sunday, June 28, 2009

The Knees of Christ





Look! Look closely at His knees. Do you remember falling off your bike as a child? Do you remember how much those scrapes hurt? Do you remember the sting you felt when your mother gently washed your knees before bandaging them? Do you remember your mother quietly shushing you and telling you that it would be ok, that the pain would be over soon?

Jesus didn't get to feel that gentle sting or hear those tender words; he only got to feel the pain of gravel and dirt ground further into them as He fell under the weight of that heavy cross again and again. And why was that cross so heavy? It was heavy because we sinned. I sinned. I put that unbearably heavy load on His shoulders; I weighed him down with my foolish thoughts and behavior. I caused His pain, His excruciating pain. But now, I can help to ease that pain. I can confess my sins and do my best to avoid all future sin. I can try to live my life in love and service for others. I can take His pain away. I can pray along with St. Alphonsus of Liguori:

My Jesus, laden with sorrows, I weep for the sins which I have committed against You. I love You Jesus, my Love, with all my heart.I am sorry that I have offended You. Never allow me to offend You again. Grant that I may love You always; and then do with me as You will. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment